Submitting for publication in Image & Text
- Author Guidelines
Download the Author Guidelines
- Editorial Guidelines
- Author’s Form (originality of submission, etc)
Download the Author’s Form
- Image & Text publishes research articles, book reviews, exhibition reviews, and conference reports.
- Authors must fill in and submit the Author’s Form regarding the originality of their submissions.
- Authors are responsible for the professional technical and language editing of their submissions. The Editorial Board reserves the right to edit or shorten submissions.
- Authors may wish to discuss the scope or applicability of their articles prior to submission and are encouraged to contact the Editor in this regard.
- All manuscripts received are first read by members of the Editorial Board, who may recommend changes before submitting the manuscript for peer review, or may reject manuscripts outright that are deemed inappropriate for the journal or not of a sufficient standard.
- Manuscripts are sent for refereeing to at least two subject specialists in a double blind refereeing process. The referees are chosen from other tertiary institutions or fields of expertise as appropriate. The comments and recommendations of the referees are conveyed to authors, and they may re-submit manuscripts once changes, if necessary, have been effected. If articles are rejected by both referees, authors are not encouraged to re-submit.
- Authors may provide the names of one or more potential referees for consideration by the Editorial Board but this does not guarantee that they will be used.
- All authors are subject to the same rigorous review process.
- The Editorial Board makes the final decision on submissions, based on the recommendations of the referees.
- Only material deemed to be of a suitably high standard is published.
- Articles may be submitted in English or in Afrikaans.
- Submission Guidelines.
How to submit
Submissions should conform to the following editorial requirements:
- The Author’s Form must be submitted wherein the author states that the article submitted is based on original research. The author must furthermore stipulate that the article has not been submitted elsewhere for consideration or has not already been published elsewhere under another title.
- Articles may only be submitted electronically via email to firstname.lastname@example.org in MS Word format, or via CD to the Editor’s office
- All articles must have a cover sheet that provides the following details:
- Title of the article.
- name of author/s.
- affiliations and contact details of all author/s.
- designation of author/s and date of submission.
- Articles must be presented in the following sequence:
- title of article.
- name of author/s.
- 200 word abstract and six key terms.
- main text.
- images and captions.
- Manuscripts must be typed in A4 format in Times New Roman or Arial 11-point font size, 1.5 line spacing with generous left and right margins, left aligned only.
- All pages must be numbered and the Harvard Reference System must be used throughout (available to download above).
- Length of articles must be approximately 5,000 – 7,000 words (including references).
- Please use footnotes.
- The house style of Image & Text uses single quotation marks for direct quotes and double quotation marks to draw attention to a concept or word.
- Digital images must be of a quality suitable for reproduction and printing and should be 300dpi and in jpg or tiff format. Do not embed images in the text but indicate their placement in the text.
- Text and images must be submitted in separate files.
- Authors are responsible for obtaining copyright and reproduction clearance for all visual or other material submitted, where necessary. A copyright agreement form must be signed and submitted to the journal Editor).
Neither the editors nor the University of Pretoria accepts responsibility for the loss of manuscripts or visual material.
Contact Image & Text
Tel: +27 (012) 420 2353